Saturday, July 28, 2007

New Vintage Dresses


Here are my two latest vintage dresses. The first is an authentic vintage pattern. I haven't found a date on it. It is made from cotton fabric from E-Quilter.com and the ric rack is from the Ribbon Jar. The button, which are silhouettes of my breed of dog (Belgian Tervuren) were a gift. The pattern called for thread gathers at the waist, but I did really smocking. Finding smocking patterns for adults is that look nice is really hard. I think this pattern works well. The pattern also called for a side snap closure. I put in an invidible zipper instead. The only pattern adjustments I made were to increase the waistline a little and move the darts to the correct local. next time I make this pattern, I will increase the circumference of the sleeves, they are more snug than I am used to.


This dress if the famous apron dress from 1952, reissued by Butterick (4790). It is constructed from cotton fabric from E-Quilter.com. Instead of using a button on the back, I used ribbon, its more adjustable. In the front I used a pant waistband hook and eye and placed the buttons just for show. I also stitched the back side of the bias binding by hand. The result is neater and doesn't take long while watching TV.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Your apron dress is adorable!

~Stephanie
(girl_in_bleue on Stitchers Guild)